Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Matthew Quick: Book Signing Event Philippines

Last August 30, I attended my second book signing event at Raffles Makati. Mathew Quick is the author known for writing the Oscar-winning movie The Silver Linings Playbook. Fortunately, the first book written by him that I read was Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock which was lend by my cousin for the holidays last year. After reading this book and watching The Silver Lining Playbook, I already saw the pattern in Quick's writing style and the subject of mental issues with the characters. His books are always a page turner and you'll always find yourself looking for the mystery of the character with each page. The vocabulary that he uses is easy to understand as well as the limited-present story-telling. 

All four books: The Good Luck of Right Now, The Silver Linings Playbook, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock, and Love May Fail are all available here in the Philippines. Love May Fail is his latest book which I am currently excited about since I heard that Emma Stone signed up for a part in the movie. I am so excited to see her as Portia Kane. This book tackles about growing older and realizing the importance of one's passion as oppose to the money you make. The ending made me cry, damn those paper planes (Hehe!). On the other hand The Good Luck of Right Now tackles a more sensitive issue which may raise an eyebrow or two of the religious Catholics. Of all the Matthew Quick's books, I believe it is the darkest one so far.



Alas, my signed copies! Yay! Matthew Quick's book signing event is a part of the annual Philippine Literary Festival 2015. I particularly liked listening to him answer all the host's questions. He was precise and takes his time in elaborating his point in every answer. Everything about his talk inspired me to write and read more. I absolutely adore him!

1 comment: