Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Every Exquisite Thing by Matthew Quick

Being a person who daily checks (okay "stalks") authors in social media, I saw Matthew Quick's profile picture on Facebook. There's this hand-drawn upside-down turtle which made me suspect that he's publishing a new book. And HE DID published a new book titled "Every Exquisite Thing" just this month. I grabbed a fresh copy on the first week that it was released here in the Philippines. It's weird because the hardbounds are plastic covered. The book cover is already a surprise itself. It's amazing! 


Didn’t you ever just simply want to…stop?

Star athlete and straight-A student Nanette O’Hare has played the role of dutiful daughter for as long as she can remember. But one day, a beloved teacher gives her his worn copy of The Bubblegum Reaper—a mysterious, out-of-print cult classic—and the rebel within Nanette awakens.

This book speaks to me. If I'm being honest with myself, it contains thoughts that I keep in the deepest, darkest part of my brain. That's what Matthew Quick does. He writes about things that we keep in our minds. Things that are really scary if we let them all out. There are so many expectations that every single human being has to endure. We are all expected to be someone who will contribute to a functioning society. Every Exquisite Thing make you ask yourself why do you need to do it? Why do we have to do things to appease other people? Do we appease ourselves in the process too? Then there is rebellion. It's my favorite characteristic of this book. How satisfying will it be in real life if I can just raise my two middle fingers in the air while I turn my back from people who expects me to do things that I'm good at but hate doing while saying, "Fuck it! I don't want to do it anymore!".

If you're looking for a great story to read for fun, you'll be disappointed. I personally am not a big fan of the characters. Nanette is a spoiled brat who always gets what she wants. She have really supportive parents that apparently doesn't get angry about anything she does. Lucky gal! Alex on the other hand is just mainly a concept of a poet, a rebellious poet who represents the mental illness that Quick addresses in each of his novels. Mr. Booker is the teacher or mentor (also a concept in every Matthew Quick book) who I thought would know a lot better himself. I liked the 3 pages of The Bubble Gum Reaper story better than the whole story of Nanette. But as a whole, Every Exquisite Thing is a thought-provoking and honest coming-of-age novel.

Overall, I will recommend this book to people who are in the midst of confusion in their life - People who are figuring out their purpose and are tired of being told what to do or not. Reading this book may become a wake up call. I dare you.

1 comment: